Week #47: Opportunities You’ve Been Given.
I’m grateful that so many people have come into my life, helping me open doors that I didn’t think were possible.
It’s funny, I write this post as I’m reflecting on the going-away party that we attended on Friday night for Emily and Phil. Thanks to my mother, Emily came into my life in 2010 and helped give me one of the most important opportunities of my life – The internship I needed to graduate from Longwood!
Sadly, Emily and Phil are getting ready to officially move to Texas. But, I have a feeling there will be many opportunities to go visit them!
Thinking back, I can list many opportunities that I’ve been given:
- Learning different instruments – Piano, then viola
- Traveling abroad – Two cruises in the 1990s, British Columbia (1998), Russia (2001), Europe (2005), Paris (2008)
- Participating in the IB program in high school
- Being a blood donor since 2005
- Going to Longwood for my college career
- Writing for and being on staff with Longwood’s student newspaper
- Holding a variety of jobs since college
- Gaining valuable experience through work and volunteering
- Being accepted into several different organizations – Alpha Sigma Tau, PEO, etc.
- Working toward a paralegal degree
- Becoming a Certified Professional Coder
- Participating in National Novel Writing Month three times, so far
- Improving this little blog of mine over the last several years
For me, I think of every new day as a new opportunity to make a difference. It doesn’t have to be anything big. Think random acts of kindness. I’ve participated in a few drive-thru “pay it forward” chains before, as well as holding doors for people, thanking those in uniform for their service, and just being kind. I haven’t read the book or seen the movie yet, but I think of Wonder and I think “choose kind.”
I look forward to future opportunities, and I’m grateful for every one.
Until the next headline, Laura Beth 🙂