Disclaimer: This post contains strong language.
I’ll admit, I’ve put off writing a post like this. I try to be an optimistic, positive, and enthusiastic person. I also try to bring those qualities to my writing, and the blog. There’s so much doom and gloom and bad news!
However, I cannot be silent anymore.
My shock has finally lessened, and I’ve accepted that Donald Trump is the 45th President of the United States.
Does “accepted” that mean that I agree with it? Does that mean I’m okay with it?
Absolutely fucking not.
What I mean (or what I’m trying to say) is that I know / understand that Trump is our President now, and we all have to deal with it.
As I’ve attempted to write this post in a coherent manner for a great many days, I’m just stunned at how literally everything has changed since November.
Nearly four months ago, our country was preparing for / bracing itself to find out whether a billionaire businessman, or a powerful woman, would be elected to lead our great nation.
When I woke up on Wednesday, November 9th, my greatest fears were realized. I immediately felt sick. No, scratch that. I felt like shit. I could barely process the barrage of CNN News Alerts on my iPhone. I didn’t want to go to work. I wanted to curl up in a ball, terrified of what just happened and scared as hell for whatever was going to come next.
But, through it all, I held my head high.
I’ve had several fascinating, informative, and civil discussions with my husband, my dad, my manager, and a handful of others. I’ve attempted to swim through all the media coverage and social media discourse, and come to my own conclusions.
I want to share what I think.
Bear with me, this may get a bit lengthy.
Yeesh, you guys. I can’t even number this list – I just have no clue where to even start.
Here we go.
- Healthcare: It’s maddening to think that they think they can simply “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act. It took SIX YEARS – Yes, that long – to enact what’s currently in place. I want evidence of their so-called solution. For more, see Hot Topic #17.
- Jobs / The Economy: It’s nice that certain companies have said, “Yes, we’ll keep our plants / facilities in the U.S.” Will that actually happen? Who knows.
- Immigration: His immigration ban already failed once. We shouldn’t be focusing on the countries he’s listed. The U.S. has its own problems! Plus, there are millions of refugees trying to escape terrible wars, famine, and more. Shouldn’t the U.S. government be a bit more compassionate? The FBI and the military have been focusing on terrorism since September 11, 2001 – We shouldn’t be stopping immigration based solely on fear.
- “The Wall”: I roll my eyes and snicker every time I hear about this. This is not the answer. This is not the solution!
- LGBTQ Rights: I’m going to borrow a quote I’ve seen on social media in the last couple of days: “It’s not about bathrooms, just like it was never about water fountains.” More to come about this, in a future blog post, or two.
- The Dakota Access Pipeline: Everything else in Washington seems to be pushing this issue to the back burner, which makes me mad! For more, see Hot Topic #16.
- Crime: Trump needs to get over himself, attend his daily briefings like all other Presidents in the history of our country have done, and stop using alternative facts and/or fake news. The inflated crime statistics, the 45-year-high murder rate – Nope. Try again. FALSE.
- Relations with Russia: Once again, John Oliver is fucking brilliant. Check out his most recent episode of Last Week Tonight: Putin.
- The Media: I lead you to John Oliver again: Trump vs. Truth. Also, the most recent frightening development – Yesterday, when several news organizations (CNN, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, Politico, BuzzFeed, The Guardian, and the BBC) were outright BANNED from the White House press briefing? Yep, that’s absolutely terrifying. In that same article, Trump was quoted as saying that “… much of the press represents ‘the enemy of the people.'”
- Planned Parenthood: Voting to de-fund Planned Parenthood because they perform abortions? Oh, my God. Give me a break! ZERO federal funds are used for abortions – Not one penny. Here’s the simplest explanation I could find: How Federal Funding Works at Planned Parenthood. For more, see Hot Topic #12.
Well, readers, this is all I can muster to write, for now. Thanks for reading / listening. You all mean the world to me.
Until the next headline, Laura Beth 🙂
I love your passion and the research you do for your posts.
Thank you so much, Diana. Your comment means so much to me!
I am so happy John Oliver is back!
Me, too!! We watch him every week like clockwork.
I had a long reply half-written, going over every point individually. Then, I realized I’d just be saying things that I’m sure you already know.
Instead I’ll say this: I’m terrified. I wouldn’t talk about the election results for weeks. I still won’t talk politics if I can avoid it (it’s driving my Dad crazy because it’s all he wants to discuss).
As someone who depends on our nation’s safety nets – Disability, Medicare, Medicaid – I simply don’t know what I’m going to do. I just know that I’m in danger. 😥
I’m so sorry, Ariel. I can’t say anything that shows true empathy, as I have never depended on Disability, Medicare, nor Medicaid. But, I’m certain that you’re not alone in your fear. I’m scared for my parents – My dad is retired, my mom is retiring in June. I’m scared for the elderly population. I’m scared for all those who rely on government assistance and other programs. I sit here with bated breath every day, trying not to worry about people I that love and care about, including you. Hugs from Virginia.
What you said shows true empathy. ❤
Thank you 🙂 ❤
Thank you, sweetie. 🙂
You’re a wonderful woman. I hope we can meet in person, someday!
I couldn’t have said it better myself! 🙂
I’m planning to meet up with Kristian in June to see Wonder Woman – She writes “Life Lessons Around The Dinner Table” Let’s do something similar. It’d be a good excuse to stop by when I take Al to New York for the first time 🙂
I’ll take being a stop on the way to NYC any day! That would be fantastic! I actually got butterflies. LOL
There are tons of good dinners or coffee spots in NJ (I know of one of the latter called Van Gogh’s Ear that, in addition to having a great name, has wonderful hot drinks & delicious food), or I could hop a bus & explore NYC with you for a bit. The latter might be difficult, only due to my condition being unpredictable.
But, obviously, we can arrange for further plans in the future. Feel free to email me – firstname.lastname@example.org, any time. 🙂
Awesome! Thanks for your email – I’ll shoot you a note in the near future 🙂
Ee! I look forward to it!
Pingback: Blog Awards #14: Mystery Blogger Award – Number 2! – Hot Shot Headlines